The FoSBR Plan for Rail accelerates and extends WECA’s MetroWest rail plan by adding new stations and capacity across the region.
The FoSBR Plan for Rail: Realistic regional rapid transit
Plan for sustainable travel
Reopen stations across the network
- Deliver MetroWest Phase 1a half-hour service from Avonmouth to Bath, with hourly trains to Severn Beach;
- Deliver MetroWest Phase 1b Portishead line with initial hourly service leading to half-hourly service, including new stations at Portishead and Pill;
- Deliver MetroWest Phase 2 Henbury line (including new stations at Henbury, North Filton and Ashley Down), with an initial hourly service leading to half-hourly service on full loop line, including Chittening (Severnside), and also half-hourly service to Yate;
- Improve service frequency to a train every fifteen minutes for all Bristol stations;
- Build new stations to serve new homes in Joint Structure Plan at Coalpit Heath, Uphill and Long Ashton;
- Rebuild Pilning station footbridge and improve service to allow Severnside commuting;
- Combat congestion in Bath with a new station at Corsham and extra services from Chippenham;
- Explore extension of Tytherington line to Thornbury.
Invest in track and trains to unlock rail capacity
- Remodel Bristol East and Westerleigh Junctions;
- Double-track Severn Beach Line to Clifton Down;
- Four-track Bristol Temple Meads to Parson Street to allow improved timetable of local stopping services south of Temple Meads, as per WECA’s Bristol West Capacity Enhancement plan, and Network Rail’s Bristol to Exeter Strategic Rail Study;
- Electrify local lines.
Improve existing train services
- Give the West of England Combined Authority (WECA) rail powers and operational oversight to co-ordinate rail across the region;
- Get longer trains with more space for people and cycles;
- Create transport hubs with real-time bus information and signage at stations, including Bristol Temple Meads, Filton Abbey Wood (for Southmead Hospital) and Nailsea & Backwell (for Bristol Airport);
- Deliver multi-modal smart ticketing.