The West of England Combined Authority (WECA) is made up of South Gloucestershire, Bristol, and Bath and North East Somerset councils. Led by Metro Mayor Tim Bowles, they re working on their Joint Local Transport Plan (JLTP4) for the period up to 2036. The FoSBR Plan for Rail accelerates and extends WECA’s rail plan by adding new stations and capacity across the region.
The FoSBR Plan for Rail: Realistic regional rapid transit
FoSBR are campaigning to accelerate and extend WECA’s rail plan. We want half-hourly services to all local stations, leading to a future 15 minute frequency, together with new stations and new lines.
Reopen stations across the network
- Deliver MetroWest Phase 1a half-hour service from Avonmouth to Bath, hourly to Severn Beach;
- Deliver MetroWest Phase 1b Portishead line with initial hourly service leading to half-hourly service, including new stations at Portishead and Pill;
- Deliver MetroWest Phase 2 Henbury line (including new stations at Henbury, North Filton and Ashley Down), with an initial hourly service leading to half-hourly service on full loop line, including Chittening (Severnside), and also half-hourly service to Yate;
- Build new stations to serve new homes in Joint Structure Plan at Coalpit Heath, Uphill and Long Ashton;
- Rebuild Pilning station footbridge and improve service to allow Severnside commuting;
- Combat congestion in Bath with a new station at Corsham and extra services from Chippenham;
- Explore extension of Tytherington line to Thornbury.
Invest in track and trains to unlock capacity
- Remodel Bristol East and Westerleigh Junctions;
- Double-track Severn Beach Line to Clifton Down;
- Electrify local lines.
Improve existing services
- Give the West of England Combined Authority (WECA) rail powers and operational oversight to co-ordinate rail across the region;
- Get longer trains with more space for people and cycles;
- Create transport hubs with real-time bus information and signage at stations, including Bristol Temple Meads, Filton Abbey Wood (for Southmead Hospital) and Nailsea & Backwell (for Bristol Airport);
- Deliver multi-modal smart ticketing.